We are working on a client application, which required to access data from SharePoint too. The best way to do that is to consume webservices exposed by SharePoint. While consuming them, we wanted to make sure which services are available in which version. We tried to find any matrix for that, but could not find one. So I thought of building it myself, so that others can reference it.
Today we had a very rough day, one of us had created a WCF REST service, and other one was trying to consume it in his IOS application, but he was not getting the correct response. We tested that call using Fiddler, could not find any problem in that. We tried very hard to troubleshoot why was that happening, but no luck.
We enabled WCF trace and message logging, although we could not log the actual message body, but we were able to review the headers of both calls. We found several differences other than the user-agent, and we experimented with most of them.
In my previous post I wrote about the simplest way of specifying logging location, which limited the solution only to environment variables set on a particular machine. However if you wanted to expand on all types of special folders available in Windows then we will have to look for a different solution, fortunately support for that is also available within log4net.
Difficulty level of this solution is a bit high, but it provides nearly 60 locations to choose from, as it uses “Environment.SpecialFolder” enumeration.
In one of our application we are using apache log4net, initially we were logging to the “logs” folder, which was located in the application installation folder. When we were testing this application on different Windows operating systems, it was not generating logs when we ran our application under least privileges account.
Where should we log then?
In my previous post I was trying to format date, and I noticed that I was not getting it correctly. Why was that, I assembled a small script to test all accessor methods provided by Date. Here is that code.
var today = new Date(); var message = "All accessor methods of date \n\n\n" + "getDate(): " + today.getDate() + "\n" + "getDay(): " + today.getDay() + "\n" + "getFullYear(): " + today.getFullYear() + "\n" + "getHours(): " + today.getHours() + "\n" + "getMilliseconds(): " + today.getMilliseconds() + "\n" + "getMinutes(): " + today.getMinutes() + "\n" + "getMonth(): " + today.getMonth() + "\n" + "getSeconds(): " + today.getSeconds() + "\n" + "getTime(): " + today.getTime() + "\n" + "getTimezoneOffset(): " + today.getTimezoneOffset() + "\n" + "getUTCDate(): " + today.getUTCDate() + "\n" + "getUTCDay(): " + today.getUTCDay() + "\n" + "getUTCFullYear(): " + today.getUTCFullYear() + "\n" + "getUTCHours(): " + today.getUTCHours() + "\n" + "getUTCMilliseconds(): " + today.getUTCMilliseconds() + "\n" + "getUTCMinutes(): " + today.getUTCMinutes() + "\n" + "getUTCMonth(): " + today.getUTCMonth() + "\n" + "getUTCSeconds(): " + today.getUTCSeconds() + "\n" + "getYear(): " + today.getYear() + "\n" + "toDateString(): " + today.toDateString() + "\n" + "toGMTString(): " + today.toGMTString() + "\n" + "toLocaleDateString(): " + today.toLocaleDateString() + "\n" + "toLocaleString(): " + today.toLocaleString() + "\n" + "toString(): " + today.toString() + "\n" + "toTimeString(): " + today.toTimeString() + "\n" + "toUTCString(): " + today.toUTCString(); alert(message);
Then I started experimenting, which is how I learn small things. unusual results:
- string is not a date
- conversion to date is not easy on my format (mm/dd/yyyy)
- formatting a date on a particular format is not easy too
So looked around, I found Datejs, which I did not wanted to use, as my task was not so much complex. Then I found some other good resources, who helped me complete this tasks.